Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Christmas Song

I don’t know why. Maybe it’s the clean room that attributes to my good mood. Life breathes easier with less clutter, we all know that. Sure, the clean room is nice, but so is the smell of chestnuts I’m roasting on the stove, their sizzle and crackle, listening to old songs, and rainy Sunday bowing goodnight.


I spent Sunday night home and cleaned my pigsty one-room and roasted chestnuts on the stove-top, which happens to be quite easy! You can also roast them in the oven, but I don't have an oven.

Either way, you must rinse your chestnuts thoroughly.


Then, it's vital to cut an X into the shells. This allows steam to escape and prevents the chestnuts from exploding. (One chestnut did explode and it was startling, but looked really cool, like a firework, in fact.) It also makes peeling much easier.


Next, spread the wet chestnuts on a cookie sheet (for oven) or skillet (for stove) and put over the heat. Set the stove to Med/High. The oven should be preheated to 425. Either way, cook for 20-30 minutes. On the stove, it's a good idea to cover the skillet (although I didn't) and rotate frequently.


Ahh, chestnuts with warm coffee and good music. Delightful.



1 comment: