Friday, December 25, 2009

So That Was Christmas

I finished work, ran home, and gathered my things. I was on my way to Amanda's house to spend Christmas eve with her and our friends. I ran to the store to pick up hot sauce, cream cheese, and tortilla chips for dip and chips. Back home, I packed the food and a blanket in my backpack, grabbed my guitar, and went out.

I got to her apartment around 11 and our friends were there talking and eating snack foods. Anlee made a wonderful cream cheese and spinach dip. We pulled out the playing cards, played a game called Nerts (or nertz?) then started a movie. Elf, of course! After the movie, we all went to sleep, seven of us, in an apartment big enough for two.

The next morning we woke slowly and got ready. Then we headed off for a turkey dinner in Ansan! We got on the train to Jangnam Station, got off, (a cute Korean girl saw me looking, smiled bashfully and said "Hi") grabbed a bus, and went to the church where dinner waited. But first was the service. 45 minute sermon about how we are separated from God by our wicked, sinful ways, there must have been rejoicing somewhere in there, although it wasn't apparent, my friends apologized afterward, but I wasn't bothered.. just annoyed.

Then the food was served! The pastor of the church (not the one who spoke), stood up and invited us to eat, but sparingly at first, since there was enough to feed 100, and 95 people were there. In the end, I think it served plenty.

It was a fantastic meal: turkey, yams, rice, salad, pumpkin pie and some chocolates..... but it wasn't what my family had back home, that's for sure. Still, I can't complain. It was a nice treat.

After dinner, the friends split and Amanda and I went back to Sanbon where we stopped for a bottle of wine, took it home, and had a glass. She was tired and ready to unwind with everyone gone and I was ready to be home too, although I've always had trouble relaxing in the middle of the day.

I called my friend, Jiyong, once I left Amanda's and we planned to meet up, but when I got home, put my things down, showered, and he called, he invited me to his house where his family had just bought food and his mom prepared it. So I got back on the bus and went back to Gunpo, the town connected to Sanbon.

There was terrible traffic on account of a stalled bus (or was it a wreck?). But once we passed it, it was smooth sailing. However, with that bus out of commission and the other buses stacking behind in traffic, there were many MANY people waiting and getting onto my bus, causing for claustrophobia and confusion, a man's crotch pushed into my space by the pressing people behind and the noise drowning out the call for my bus stop, but I got off where I thought was right. I was wrong.

I called Jiyong, he said to grab a taxi and hand the driver the phone so he could tell him directions, so that happened and the driver dropped me off at the corner just outside the apartment complex where Jiyong lives with his family. We went in and his sister giggled, his little dog sniffed, and his mother brought out raw fish, cooked shrimp, pepper sauce with wasabi, and lettuce to wrap it. A Christmas special played on the big TV where pop stars looked beautiful and danced what appeared to be uncharacteristically sexy for Christmas.. "Oh, I like that," Jiyong would say... "Yeah.. it's not bad," I'd naturally agree.

We finished the fish, Jiyong got ready, and we left. I tried to be as polite as possible, say my please and thank yous... but they of course came out as jumbled words trying to approach manners... but missed the mark. But his mom smiled and understood well enough. At the door, I put on my shoes, struggling to balance on one foot in a small space with two bodies and a clumsy heavy coat on... then we left.

Back outside, the snow came and went, we stopped by the bank, hopped on the bus, drove back to Anyang. It bustled. People were everywhere. Groups, families, friends, couples.. so many couples.. Jiyong and I went to the coffee shop for some make-believe energy, sat and talked and sipped our warm Christmas, then we left for the arcade. We raced cars, shot bad guys, and stepped back out after a job well done.

"Where do you want to go?" "Monkey Bar?" "Sure that sounds great."

We stepped down into the basement shop to Monkey Bar for a drink and to play darts. We sipped our cocktails and Jiyong beat me all three games, then we paid and left for Liverpool Pub where the staff knows me and Jiyong and are very friendly. We ordered a beer each, sat and watched soccer play out on the big screen, then shot darts.

Christmas night and to my right, what to my sight but a husband and wife.. and their five year old child!

Darts and a sip and darts and a sip, back and forth for 7 games and one beer each, then Jiyong and I left.

Jiyong went to Gunpo to see his friends, I went home to call my family. And so, Christmas. None the excitement of home; tradition to the extent of a Christmas tree and a bell behind a red bucket. It snowed. Couples held each other close. It was a lovely night, especially to have someone close, like family, a lover, or a good friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment