Saturday, December 19, 2009

Snowflakes and Sugar Plum Fairies

I went to see the Nutcracker with my friends last night. After the lights went down, the music started, and the first dancers appeared, I wept through the first two songs. I can't say exactly why, I feel overly-sentimental sometimes. But perhaps it's that, from/through/despite so much chaos mankind creates, man can yet create such beauty. The dancers were feathers floating after a pillow fight. It was incredible to see the lightness feet, soft landings, spinning pirouettes. Comical and jerky motions were still so smooth and perfect and the joy that was expressed by it all was overwhelming. The music was fantastic and, I learned, composed by Tchaikovsky. I loved every bit of the Nutcracker and strongly recommend it. 

This is the Chinese dance, but the ballet has changed, and changes with each place it's performed (as far as I understand), so what I saw last night was a little different. But the music's the same.


History of the Nutcracker

No comments:

Post a Comment