Sunday, August 30, 2009

From Evening to Twilight to the Twilight Zone, then Home

After a night of see-saws and merry-go-rounds, I woke up at a friend's house in Itaewon having hardly slept. I helped Peter and his roommates clean, watched some news, and left. In a dizzy daze from the night-long carousel ride, I meandered through town and somehow got to the train station. I got to my train and rode to the transfer two stops away. I went to the 4-line train and got on.
The train went and went, dropping people off, letting people on, but at one stop, everyone got off, except me, and one man stepped on. The train pulled off. The man, noticeably drunk, sat next to me on the empty train. Then, unexpectedly, the train stopped. We were a bullet in a chamber. It was completely dark around us. During this time, the man tried to talk to me and breathed drunken Korean in my face. I didn’t understand and he didn’t know English. He repeated himself as if I would get it after several tries. He was persistent and wouldn’t leave me alone. I was in no state to try and converse with someone speaking a different language, especially a drunk person, and I didn't feel like putting the exhaustive effort of skipping through my phrasebook toward this conversation. The train sat there for what seemed like eternity. I simply wanted to be home, or at least on a train with other people on it and this man not so close to my face telling me to uncross my legs because they’re in the way of people walking by – on the empty train.
Finally, we started moving again, but in the direction I came from. “Why’s the train moving the other way?” I asked, not wanting a response, just speaking out of tired frustration. I got off the train, completely ignoring the man, and looked at the signs. They said all the places I needed to go, but in my still-dazed, tired stuper I didn’t realize they were the places I had gone, so I got back on the train, but not in the same door I’d exited, and I sat in a different carriage than he. After two stops I realized I was in fact going the wrong way, and utterly baffled at the twilight zone experience, stepped off the train and got on the next one going back the way I needed to go. At the third stop, everyone got off the train, including myself, and it pulled away empty.
Eventually, another train pulled up and everyone got on and it took me to Gyeomjeong, where I got off, transferred again, and rode two more stops to, finally, Anyang. I went up the stairs to the exit and swiped my T-money train card.
Error – insufficient funds. “What?” I pleaded. I went to recharge my card at the card machine, but it didn’t work. I felt so helpless and exhausted after the trip that had already taken twice as long coming home as it had when I went. Eventually, help arrived, let me out, took me to a machine that worked, and I recharged my card – but there went the last of my cash. So after walking across town one way to my bank, and across town the other way for water and eggs, I’m finally home. My what a day.

1 comment: