Thursday, October 22, 2009

funny stories... oh, and send some cortizone........

I have a few short stories to share:


Today one of my students came into the office. I made a mean face at him for fun, he made one back. I shook my fist at him, he shook his fist and said, "Knuckle sandwich." I taught him that the other day in class. Then I taught him "right in the kisser," and "this is six months in the hospital, this is straight to the moon." And the alternative, "this is six months in the hospital, this is sudden death."He's a good kid and fun to have as a student.


This week I went to the coffee pot to grab some good ol' joe. Well, next to the pot stood a bottle on which was printed "Scotch Whiskey." "Whoa," I thought. Not something you'd have standing around a school in the states. Ends up it was plum juice in an old whiskey bottle. But still. Really? Didn't remove the label or anything! Means SOMEONE's been drinkin'!


My students take word tests almost every class. In my later class one evening, I passed the test out to the students and started saying the words. I looked up as one girl was looking intently, yet briefly, at her hand. She saw me look, then acted like she had to wipe her forehead, then rubbed her jeans vigorously to wipe off the words that she'd spelled out before class. I thought it was funny how she reacted.


I have to call students at home these days to have a brief conversation with them as if they are on a flight. I say, "Which would you like, beef, chicken, or fish?" And the student chooses one and says "please." It goes from there. Here's an excerpt from my conversation with Jada:

"Hi Jada. How are you?"
"Yes."
"Are you good?"
"Chicken please."
"Umm, okay, which would you like..."

Well, once we got on track, she pronounced everything fluently and clearly. Of course, listening is an important part of any language, I suppose.



Aside from these stories, I have a new case of poison ivy breaking out on my right shin. I have not been in any poison ivy, so I can only guess that SOMETHING I wore had poison ivy on it, but my wardrobe hasn't changed except for one pair of corduroy pants, but it was summer when I had poison ivy, so I wouldn't have worn those... I'm at a loss... and nervous, because I don't know how to take care of this kind of problem here.

Here's a video to consider (sorry it moves so fast):

No comments:

Post a Comment