Wednesday, September 15, 2010

He Didn't Talk His Way Out of It

David pulled into the parking lot quick, hit the guard rail solid at the local Whataburger. The state trooper walked up as Janet got out of the back seat, Lee stepped out the passenger side, and David opened his door.

The trooper looked at the bumper, then to David. "How you doin tonight?"

David looked up from his seat as he stood up, "I'm fine."

Lee waited at the back of the car. Janet stood beside her door. The trooper looked at David.

"This your car?"

"It's mine," Janet answered. "But we're both insured on it."

The trooper looked at David. "You alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"You been drinking tonight?"

David looked him in the eyes and said nothing.

"I asked you a question. Have you been drinking?"

He looked straight at the trooper. "I'm fine."

"That's not what I asked. I asked if you've been drinking."

"I'm not going to lie to you."

The trooper looked back at Janet and Lee. Lee rolled a cigarette. The trooper asked Janet, "What's he doing? Is he gonna throw down on me?"

"No, he's not," Janet replied. The trooper looked back at David.

"What are you doing? I'm a State Trooper." He pointed to his badge. "I don't have to put up with this shit. You know how many DWI's I give out?"

David's hands were clasped in front of his waist. "Yes sir. I understand." David's eyes never flinched. The trooper looked at Janet.

"Are you okay to drive?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

Lee lit his cigarette.

The trooper, now angry, told Janet, "You take him home now. Give her the keys."

David nodded. "I'm going to reach into my pocket and get the keys." He handed them to Janet. The trooper pointed to the passenger seat.

"You take him out of here, now."

"Yes sir."

The three got into the car and Janet slowly pulled out.

David looked at Janet and Lee. "And that's how you get out of a DWI."

No comments:

Post a Comment